Friday, February 19, 2010

And now we are six (months, that is)

Today you are six months old.

You had your six-month checkup a couple days ago, during which we learned that you now weigh 17 pounds, 11 ounces, and you're 28 inches long (tall?). You rarely cry, but you freaked out when they got you on that scale this time, boy howdy.

We also learned to make the appointments on your birth date or later. Because they won't give you certain shots even two days early. So we have to go back for more shots. Sorry about that, lovey.

A couple weeks ago, we started feeding you solid food. We were going to wait until six months, just to be safe on the allergies, even though the pediatrician gave us the go-ahead at four months.

But then you started lunging - and I am not exaggerating - lunging at whatever we were eating or drinking. And then staring at us and smacking your lips.So let me tell you, you were so excited, so very excited, to eat! Food!
You were less excited about the taste of rice cereal. You much prefer it with water. Your dad tasted it mixed with formula, and you'd think he'd taken a bite of poo.

That's when we tried mixing it with water.In other news, you continue to amaze and delight us in every area except the sleeping.

I realized yesterday that I should never be told state secrets. Because after sleep deprivation, I'd crack in a second. I also realized that if I could trade being water-boarded once for days upon end of too little sleep, I'd do it.

It doesn't make me love you any less, but it does make me very tired and irrational.

But now my friend, now begins the sleep training. You pretty reliably take two naps a day, and we have you on a schedule, more or less. Except for the waking up at night. Now we tackle the nights.

You're not going to like it, but it'll be good for you. Down the road, I'm probably going to say the same things about Brussels sprouts.

Although I say that kind of stuff regularly to your father, to no avail.

Ah, well. Clearly didn't stunt his growth.

Lately you've started putting your head on my shoulder and wrapping your little arm around me while I'm holding you. It's better than drinking rainbows and being kissed by unicorns, it's so amazing.

You are so much fun to be around, and even though you can't talk, you get funnier every day. You giggle, you laugh, you wiggle and kick kick kick your legs in delight.

You love being held, and we all love to hold you. You love the rattles your nana Betty gave you. You try your best to taste everything within your reach. You don't love snow, and I cannot say I blame you.

You smile at the world, and the world smiles back at you. I find it extraordinary. I find you extraordinary.

I feel so lucky to have you as the center of my world, little boy.

Love,

Mama

15 comments:

  1. Aw, this post made me smile and feel all fuzzy inside.

    It's an alien feeling to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot get over how cute that snowsuit is (more to the point, how cute J is *in* it.

    And it's pretty awesome that he's learned to hug already. Hugs are the greatest thing. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god... he's an old man now. :-)

    Congrats... six months down, years and years of fun left to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P - I'm glad it made you all fuzzy! That's totally how he makes me feel.

    Dagny - It is so damn cute. It's like three inches thick and he just looks like this big blue pillow.

    And he hasn't quite got the hug down - I don't want to mislead - it's more of a reacharound. But I love it.

    VVK - Can you believe it? Six months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good lord, he is enormous (and adorable). Josie is creeping up on 5 months, and is barely over 12 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, that's why we keep them instead of chucking them out when we need sleep. Extraordinary.

    Happy 6. Months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the sleep training. He is just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is the sweetest. :) Happy 6 months-that was fast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post...and a beautiful baby! Thanks for sharing these moments with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy - I know, huge. He's gotten very heavy to carry. Your little cutie is a much more manageable size!

    Hillary - He appreciates it!

    Lisa - And you know I listen to you, because I know you've been through it all and look how great your kids are!

    Miranda - Ugh, thanks, I need it. Last night, not so great.

    kayare - Thanks - he is sweet :). I cannot believe how fast it went.

    Kate - Thank YOU for being interested and sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cutie pics!

    As one of three boys who had a reign of terror through two states, your fun hasn't even begun yet.

    And don't worry, he'll begin sleeping soon enough and you'll wonder why, WHY? he won't get out of bed when you call. It's cause he's a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Halfy Birthday Jordan! You are gorgeous. and Nico hates rice cereal too! but when I sneak some gerber organic fruit into it, he is in heaven (just let mommy know . . . ;-)
    Kiran

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is so sweet! That little face is just too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww, he's just so adorable in his little fleece-y outfit! happy 6 months to him!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.